The Agony and Ecstasy of Recovering from a Night of Passion in Your 40s
Recovering from a Night of Passion in Your 40s. As a man cruising towards the big 5-0, your body may not bounce back as quickly after a night of passion as it did in your 20s. But with some planning and patience, you can still have an active and fulfilling sex life. This handy guide will give you tips on boosting your stamina, surviving those long refractory periods, and getting back in the game for round 2.
Why Recovering Takes Longer As You Age
When you were younger, you could go all night and be ready for more in the morning. So what gives now that you’re over 40? Here’s a look at some of the factors behind longer recovery times:
- Testosterone levels start dropping after age 30, slowing erections and recovery time.
- The refractory period is linked to elevated prolactin levels after orgasm, which inhibits dopamine.
Less Nitric Oxide
- Crucial for blood flow, nitric oxide production can decrease with age.
More Oxidative Stress
- Free radicals damage blood vessels, impairing circulation.
- Lack of exercise, poor diet, excess weight, smoking, and drinking impact sexual function.
So in simple terms – your hormones, blood flow and energy levels aren’t what they used to be. But not to worry, you’ve still got options!
Tips for Recovering Faster Between Rounds
You may need more time between sessions than you did when you were 20, but there are ways to speed up recovery:
- Exercise – Regular cardio and strength training improve circulation.
- Eat right – A healthy diet keeps blood vessels in shape.
- Stay hydrated – Drinking enough water is vital for good blood flow.
- Manage stress – High cortisol hampers testosterone. Relaxation boosts it.
- Get some sun – Sunshine spurs testosterone production.
- Limit alcohol – Booze can sap energy and hinder erections.
- Don’t smoke – Smoking impacts circulation.
- Take a nap – A short rest can help recharge your batteries.
- Masturbate less – Too much solo action can tire the equipment.
- Try supplements – Herbs like maca, ginseng and ginkgo may provide a lift.
Making the Most of Refractory Periods
The time between erections offers a chance to build intimacy in other ways. Take advantage of the intermissions:
Go Down South
Oral stimulation keeps the passion flowing. Your partner will appreciate the attention while your engine reboots.
Break out the Toys
Dildos, vibrators and masturbation sleeves add fun when your member is on hiatus.
Kissing boosts oxytocin, strengthens emotional bonds and stirs up anticipation.
Snuggle and Caress
Physical closeness during the refractory period deepens intimacy.
Take a Sexy Shower or Bath
Get clean together as a prelude to getting dirty again.
Perform a Sensual Massage
Hands-on rubbing promotes relaxation and connection.
Whisper Sweet Nothings
Say how much you desire each other. Arousal starts in the mind.
Supplements To Shorten Refractory Period
For many men over 40, herbal supplements can provide a welcome boost:
This Peruvian herb contains compounds that stimulate libido and energy.
This amino acid may improve erection quality by increasing nitric oxide.
Ginkgo enhances blood circulation and tones the genital area.
Used in Ayurvedic medicine to improve sexual function and vitality.
Zinc and Magnesium
Minerals that support testosterone and reproductive health.
Horny Goat Weed
Used in Chinese medicine to treat erectile dysfunction.
Helps fight fatigue and boost sexual stamina.
When choosing supplements, consult your doctor, read reviews and start with lower doses to assess effects and side effects. High quality products from reputable brands are best.
Positions for Longer Lasting Sex
Trying new positions can help pacing and control:
- Woman on top positions put her in the driver’s seat.
- Side by side positions like spooning limit deep thrusting.
- Have her squeeze her pelvic floor muscles during intercourse.
- Take breaks to caress each other or switch to oral pleasure.
- When you feel close, pull out and take a few deep breaths.
Getting the right rhythm can help sex last longer:
- Start slow and gentle to delay orgasm.
- Alternate soft shallow thrusts with deeper motions.
- When arousal builds, stop moving altogether for 30 seconds or more.
- Change positions just before you reach the point of no return.
- Take deep breaths to regain control if you feel too close to climaxing.
Once you’ve climaxed, the fun doesn’t have to end:
- Cuddle naked and massage each other’s skin.
- Take a romantic shower or bath together.
- Apply lotion or oil to one another’s body.
- Watch a sexy movie and enjoy some pillow talk.
- Place soothing music and relax in each other’s arms.
- Share your favorite parts of your intimate time together.
How long does it take most men over 40 to get an erection again after sex?
- The average refractory period for men over 40 ranges from 2 hours to 2 days. But it varies by individual. For some healthy men over 50 or 60, it may be as little as 20-30 minutes.
What causes long refractory periods?
- Age-related hormone changes, poorer blood flow, nerve issues, performance anxiety, fatigue, illness and medication side effects can all contribute to longer recovery times.
Should I take ED drugs like Viagra?
- Talk to your doctor. ED medications may help shorten refractory periods, but also have potential side effects. Natural alternatives are worth considering first.
Is it normal to fall asleep after sex at my age?
- Feeling sleepy after an orgasm is common at any age due to hormonal shifts. But fatigue and drowsiness after sex becomes increasingly common as men get older.
How can I get in the mood again quickly if my partner is ready to go another round?
- Even if your member isn’t ready for action, you can still engage in foreplay. Oral sex, touching, fantasy and dirty talk can help reignite your arousal. Just take it slow and see what happens.
What should I do if I can’t get an erection again the same day?
- Don’t worry about it. Cuddle, kiss, massage each other, take a shower together, or engage in other intimate activities. You can still have great sex without intercourse.
Recharging your sexual batteries may take a bit more effort after 40, but with some patience and creativity, your love life can still sizzle. Stay positive, communicate with your partner, and explore new ways to remain intimate when your motor needs more time in the pit stop.